hello, start reading here.

healthy summer recipes.


If there's one thing I've learned in the first year of marriage it's that I love to cook and I love to eat food that makes you feel good.  There's nothing like knowing exactly what's in the food I'm eating and exactly how healthy it is for me.  This doesn't always mean that you're going to spend hours in the kitchen.  And while I'm no expert, I've decided to share some of the things us Blossom's have been eating.  Keep in mind that I'm a vegetarian who eats fish sometimes and that Mr. Blossom is a meat-atarian who eats like a vegetarian sometimes.  He's a good sport. :)

Notes:  Super quick and super delicious.  We used a combination of chicken and tofu for this one.  I'd recommend making the 4 servings (even if there's only 2 of you) and packaging up some for lunch the next day.  It's that good.  Add brown rice instead for an even healthier touch.  Warning: You may have to buy some Asian-y ingredients in order to make this the first time but it's totally worth it!

Notes:  First of all, if you've never had hoisin, buy it anyway.  It has a somewhat barbecue-y, smoky, awesome flavor and you'd be crazy not to like it.  This recipe takes a little more time to prepare but I would definitely make it again, especially because the salmon cooks so quickly.  Don't forget to use some fresh cilantro in place of lettuce...yum!  I served oven roasted fries with this and it was a pretty stellar meal. 


Notes: EASY, EASY, EASY! Make this tonight!  If you like white fish and you're not making it on a regular basis, you should be.  It's healthy, quick and super easy to prepare.  I loved this meal because it was filling yet refreshing.  It will probably make a regular appearance around here.  Because I'm a dork who likes to bake, I bake our bread homemade each week (it's cheaper and SO easy!).  I like to use this recipe and this is the same bread I used in the salad.  Not to mention, this is also a great way to make use of almost-too-old-to-eat bread.

To cook the tilapia:
-Spray a non-stick pan with cooking spray and bring to medium heat
-Sprinkle both sides of tilapia with seasoned salt 
-Cook tilapia on both sides for 3-4 minutes or to your preference
-Serve and enjoy! Seriously, that's it!

Since I'm not some expert chef with a fancy, schmancy food degree, please understand that these recipes are found elsewhere and properly cited.  The photos are my own and the recipes are the genius of other impressive people.  They are not my ninja-cooking/creating-recipe skills.  Believe me, if they were (and when they are), you'll know. :)

2 comments

Unknown June 22, 2012 at 1:15 PM

i don't know how i found your blog, but you are too cute! Have fun on vacation! :)

Kelli June 24, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Ummm...remember when we lived in Spain and your family served you crazy fish that made you faint?! Glad to see that you and fish are friends now. These recipes look delicious! :)