hello, start reading here.

dry socks, happy hiker.

When was the last time you chanced an afternoon-long rainstorm and went hiking?

That's exactly what we did this weekend and it was beyond beautiful. Sweaty, but beautiful.  The nature trails lead to the ruins of an old mill and straight to rushing river waves.  The water was so inviting that it took everything I had not to jump in.  However, Joe and I agreed that a hiker with wet socks is no happy hiker, so we refrained. ;)

The beautiful ruins of an old New Manchester Mill, Sweetwater Creek State Park, GA.


Over the past few days, I've been thinking about the ruins of that old mill.  The history behind it is ugly: each brick was made by slave labor and it was doused in gasoline during the Civil War only to become a hiding place for passing soldiers and ammunition.
Aside from the slavery, the flames, the war and the ruin, a passerby sees the ruin and declares it beautiful. 

I am in awe that God does not see an ugly past when looking at me.  How thankful I am to be considered beautiful, loved and new.
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come:The old has gone, the new is here! 2 Corinthians 5:17

5 comments

Anonymous June 29, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Beautiful, Ashley. God Bless!

Ana Degenaar June 30, 2011 at 5:53 AM

What lovely blog. I'll be lurking around here for a while. If you'd like you can enter this precious giveaway. It's the last day to enter.
Warmly

Unknown June 30, 2011 at 6:20 AM

Thanks so much, Ana! :) I'm very new at this but I am having fun! Also, thanks so much for letting me know about your giveaway. Nothing like a GIVEAWAY :)

Katelyn June 30, 2011 at 2:47 PM

That area looks amazing to hike!! Love it!

Unknown July 2, 2011 at 7:46 AM

Kate: IT WAS. Surprisingly beautiful. :)